Friday, September 2, 2011

Leaving Newfoundland

   Before we left Newfoundland, I had to get a picture of the early morning fog/cloudbank rolling down the 2000' hills to the east.  



     The next morning, we drove the few miles to Port aux Basques where we would take the ferry shown below.  At 8:30 A.M. the fog still hadn't lifted completely.  This ship would take us on a 6 hour ride from Newfoundland to Sydney, Nova Scotia.


Once in Nova Scotia, I placed a call to New Horizons, the manufacturer of my RV, concerning the difficulties I was having with the slide-out, and they asked me if I could be there (Junction City, Kansas) by Labor Day.  This, on or about the 18th of August.  Given the problems I was having, I answer in the affirmative, which meant a fairly rapid trip from Nova Scotia to Kansas.  I left the next day, driving through Nova Scotia without stopping, into New Brunswick where I stayed the night, then on into Maine, where I spent another night, thence to New Hampshire where I had to stop at North Conway, NH, home of Peter Limmer Boots.  Here I stayed two nights, giving me time to pick up my old but newly resoled boots, and to have some more shaping applied to my new boots which were still tight at one spot.  I couldn't resist a few pictures while there:

                                           Boots Awaiting Repairs:

                                           Boots After Repairs:

                                           A Multitude of Foot Casts:

     Once I had my boots, and with Hurricane Irene bearing down, I hastened to remove myself to Massena, NY.  Massena lies north and a bit west of the Adirondack State Park.  The next day, I relocated to Java Center, NY; then to Belmont, OH, just a bit west of Wheeling, WV.  Listening to the radio, I heard of the devastation that Irene caused to Vermont, New Hampshire and the north country of NewYork, aka "The Adirondacks".  Glad I was that I had moved out in time!
     A few more days of driving, and nights at Passport America (50% price) RV parks, I arrived Junction City on Thursday, the First of September.  Ken, the maintenance and repair manager, got my rig into their shop early the next morning.
     I might actually get away this weekend, to head north toward South Dakota to renew my drivers license.

No comments:

Post a Comment