Friday, April 12, 2013

Page, Arizona

   At the end of my last post, I was heading outside Bouse to camp with my Boondocking friends, and we spent the next 2 months camping in various places around Arizona, predominantly in the Parker, Quartzsite and Bouse area.
   I left the group March 18th, heading toward Simi Valley, CA to re-visit again with a friends I had met at Grand Forks Air Force Base, ND back in the early 70's.
   Then I left Simi Valley after a week or so, heading toward Petaluma, north of San Francisco.  There, I camped at the Elks Lodge, and traveled to Point Reyes Station, about 20 miles away, for a reunion with a former roommate from college, whom I hadn't seen in, lo', 49 years!  I had a great time catching up on all the years, and meeting for the first time his wonderful wife.  During the afternoon we took a hike to and along the sea coast, returning for a very enjoyable dinner, then later took in a concert by Janice Ian, who blossomed onto the scene back in the 70's.  It was a small crowd, but a very enjoyable concert, and I'm now an official Janice Ian fan!
   Following our visit, I left Petaluma, heading south and east, finally ending up at Page, AZ, near the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell.  I didn't have any driving need to view Lake Powell, but wanted to hike through the Antelope (slot) Canyon and try to get some pictures of its beauty.
   I paid $26 for a 2-hour photo pass for the Lower (vice Upper) Antelope Canyon.  The canyons are located on Navajo land just outside town, and I was amazed by the beauty of this deep and very narrow canyon.
   The first picture will give you an idea of the human scale:




Lady of the Rock: aka "Taffy"





Several photographers were working the canyon this day.   A picture within a picture:


 An eagle's head:







And lastly, some stragglers from the last group:



1 comment: