Before I left Borrego Springs, I took one last short hike partway up Coyote Mountain, and look what I found! A brittle bush in exuberant bloom!
And then a tiny lupine, only about 6 inches high, but blooming for all it was worth.
I had planned to leave Borrego Springs on Friday or Saturday, March 11 or 12, but just happened to check the weather reports, and found that Borrego was to have potentially high winds Friday, Saturday and Sunday, whereas Yuma was to have high winds only on Saturday. I wanted to get to Gila Bend, AZ so as soon as I read these reports, 2:30 PM on Thursday, I started packing up, and pulled out an hour later for the I-8 Ogilby Road exit, just a few miles short of Yuma, where I arrived at sundown, about 6:30 California time.
I drove about 5 miles north on Ogilby Road to the "American Girl Mine Road" where I found a peaceful and very quiet desert boondocking space with no one near me, and only 1 other RV within sight. I enjoyed the view of the beautiful new moon after sunset, and had a very peaceful night. I awoke early the next morning, about 6:30 and took a short 10 or 15 minute walk around the area in the morning cool.
I must have pulled out about 7:30, as I arrived Gila Bend about 11 AM, Arizona time. I stayed two nights at an RV Park associated with Holt's Shell Station off I-8, Exit 119 where I was able to stay for $11.50 a night using my Passport America membership benefit. And this was with full hookups and strong Verizon Internet. Even the 30 Amp electrical service was strong, remaining about 120 volts even when my A/C was running.
I took a walk that evening and early the next morning, and caught a picture of an extraordinary truck and its "trailer". Back in 2012, I was awed when I saw a 58-wheel rig at a gas station - this truck and rig is just shy of twice as big - fully 110 wheels! Or, if you include that spare truck that's being towed behind the "trailer", it would be fully 124 wheels!!! I was just blown away!
That's all for now. I plan to leave Gila Bend tomorrow morning for the Usery Mountain Regional Park on the northeast corner of Mesa, AZ. That's just a hour or two from here, and I'll take my time leaving. I'll the joining the Alberta (Canada) Roamers at a Group Campground in the park, and the earliest we can arrive this first day is 12:30.
Hope all are well,
- Bill -



No comments:
Post a Comment