Tuesday, May 15, 2018

15 May 2018 - City of Rocks State Park, New Mexico

   It's about time for an update.
   We, the dog and I, got to Borrego Springs, CA about the last of October and remained there until the middle of March, camping in the desert, playing Bingo two evenings a week, riding my bike plus trying to introduce Meghan (the dog) to running alongside the bike, reading many books, and taking just a few photos.  It was funny that after her first introduction to running with the bike, every time I would suit up for my own ride out on the roadways for 10 miles, Meghan would start to bark and howl each time I left her behind!  Seems she really enjoyed it.
   After a few months, it was time for her first ever session with a groomer.  She came out from it looking much better, but the groomer said that if I ever brought her back again, she (the dog) would have to be on tranquilizers!
Before Grooming


After Grooming


After I did some TouchUp on her


   Back on the 16th of January we had a new moon and I made a point to get a picture of it.


   I left Borrego Springs once it got too warm back during March, traveling to Yuma and then Benson, AZ to relax some more and visit with friends.  Finally, near the end of April I left Arizona for New Mexico, traveling to the City of Rocks State Park.  The 'City' is about 1 square mile in area, and lies at 5,200 feet altitude.  It was formed when a large volcano erupted 35 million years ago and carpeted the area with a thick layer of tufa which over the years cracked and weathered into a collection of sculptured columns and pinnacles, some rising as much as 40 feet high.
   While here, I worked some more with Meghan, getting her used to running alongside my bike, and she was always so excited to be out running that she often was pulling the bike and me if I wasn't pedaling fast enough.  It always went smoothly unless she happened to spy a rabbit...!!




 Notice my bike just under that "grinning" rock, below.

 From one viewpoint, just a couple very large rocks.


From another, it kinda looks like a rock rabbit.


 A neighbor near me was camping inside a cove in the rocks.  


Then I got real interested in shooting yucca plants from different perspectives.





    When I left City of the Rocks, I made it a point to travel a circular route through the mountains, west, north, northeast and then east to see the Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescopes located on the plains of Saint Agustin near Datil, NM.


   Each telescope is 82 feet across and there are 27 of them, weighing 230 tons each(!), and they can be relocated on 82 miles of dedicated railroad spurs to form the equivalent of a radio telescope as much as 22 miles in diameter.  The output from the 27 antennas is sent down fiber optic cables to a supercomputer, the Wideband Interferometric Digital Architecture Correlater, with merges the 27 inputs into one observation,  performing sixteen quadrillion processes per second!  Pretty stunning.






No comments:

Post a Comment