After a couple weeks at Quartzsite, and way too many people, I departed early for Ajo, AZ, south of Gila Bend on HW 85. Getting there early, I went a couple miles south of town then west on Darby Wells road - a scenic road through the desert, which road then curves back north to town. Here I was able to boondock for up to 14 days for free, though I remained but 4 days, and was able to bicycle 7 or so miles on the dirt and sand roads three of these days.
On the fifth day, I moved to a county park north of town where the rest of the Boondockers were gathering. Here, I was happy to have access to relatively well-maintained but little traveled asphalt roads such that I was able to bike 10 miles several mornings before the winds picked up. While there, we had some more wonderful sunsets, one on the second night of the new moon (seen below, way up high).
I had been here a year or two before, but had not realized that Ajo has some of the best Spanish revival architecture in the west, at the town plaza.
While I was planning my escape from Ajo, I took the time to drive south into the Organ Pipe National Monument, and was awed by the absolute lushness of the desert there. Trees, bushes, shrubs, cacti - it's still a desert, but heavily vegetated. Driving down there, sans RV, I found myself in the middle of a vast convoy of huge motor homes, and not wanting to go where they were going, I turned about and headed home, only to find the Engine Warning light came on. When I got back to camp, I called the nearest International shop, in Phoenix, and explained the problem, and gave then the codes that the truck computer had displayed. They checked their books, and said it might be low oil, or it might be a coolant problem, or it might one of several other things. I checked the oil level, and while not down to the ADD level, it could use some more oil, so I topped it off, packed everything up, and left in a rush for Phoenix, as they said I might be able to make it there without problems.
I checked for casinos in the area and found none that accepted RVers for overnight, nor did I locate convenient RV Parks that accepted Passport America (1/2 discount), so called Al & Donna Ellis in Chandler, just outside Phoenix, who said, "Well, park next to our house." I took the truck in the next morning at 6:30, as they had told me that the earlier I got it in, the earlier they could get me out. They didn't even get the truck inside, however, until noon, but by that evening I had it back, and was set to pull out the next morning.
Within a mile of pulling out, however, the Engine Warning light came on again, and the truck wouldn't go over 45 mph - and this on I-8 in the middle of Phoenix (rush-hour central)! So I pulled over at the first wide spot in the road, called the same shop, and they told me to bring it right over and they'd get right on it. Sure! They got the truck in, again, about noon, but this time at least I had my trailer there to relax in while they worked. I got the truck back about 4:30, and they said the technician couldn't find anything wrong, but he'd worked to snug up all the connectors for the wiring harness. They also told me that if it happens again, it might just be cheaper in the long run to pop for a new harness ($1000 or so) to be done with the problem and repeat occurrences. ...hmmmm
So there I was, 4:30 in the middle of Phoenix, rush-hour traffic going both ways, so I asked if it would be best to get to Gila Bend by circling east, south then west, or by heading west through downtown then south. They advised heading west on I-8, and although I was very skeptical, I took their advise, and very shortly was happy to have done so. The traffic was dense for a short while, then cleared up and we just sailed through town. Got into Gila Bend about 6:30, just in time for sunset, set up, poured a stiff drink and sat back to relax a bit.
The next morning, before departing, I filled my fresh water tank, then drained the black & grey water tanks, washed up, then did the laundry - only 75 cents for wash and for dry(each). And this is a PassportAmerica park, so it cost me only $10 to park there. A good deal all the way around!
So after the above filling, draining and washing, I left at 12:45 for Yuma where I exchanged an LED light that I'd gotten recently, then continued on toward Slab City, outside Niland, CA, on the eastern edge of the Salton Sea.
I plan to be here for another week or so, biking 6 miles each nice morning along the nearby canal, waiting for my mail delivery and a replacement bracket for an interior water filter, which ensures the drinking water tap delivers very pure water.




No comments:
Post a Comment