I recently spent two weeks boondocking with the Escapees Boondockers outside the small burg of Ehrenberg, Arizona. We were about a mile off I-10, and about 1.2 miles from the Colorado River and the California border. The road in was pretty bad and quite dusty, and once I found the campsite, I was not exactly impressed, but it
was quiet and remote in the sense that few people came into the area.
We camped atop an elevated and very slightly sloping landform made up of silty sand, boulders, rocks and a multitude of shattered rock remains. I could not escape the conclusion that this area was the result of an ancient huge flood of cataclysmic proportions, i.e., the end of the Ice Age, with massive floods of water and debris coming down the Colorado River from the Rockies to the east.
But one benefit of the area was that we had some wonderful sunsets.
I have now left Ehrenberg, and have moved all of 19 miles eastward, to Quartzsite, AZ - home of an annual super-gathering of RV's each January. I wonder if I'll find anything of wonder...?
- Bill -
No comments:
Post a Comment