And it was just six miles to Capitol Reef National Park. Driving into the park the next day, the first thing I came to was the old home of the original settlers, plus a barn constructed in the manner of the original. I couldn't miss taking a picture of the barn and horses. Alas, I forgot entirely to get a picture of the old farmhouse, which was very nice, and was being used as a museum and shop, selling, among other things, some very wonderful fruit pies. I wonder what distracted me so? And the pies were very good!
Neither could I pass up taking a picture of the older style of RV. Well, perhaps that requires a great stretch of the imagination.
The main feature of this area, however, is the Waterfold Pocket and the road that runs along it.
Expansive views around every corner.
Incredible geology everywhere.
Then I came to a spot where the Capitol Wash exits the cliffs, and park personnel back at the farm had said that I should be sure to take the road into it, and that I'd have no problem with the size of my truck.
Rugged terrain. Inspiring views.
Snug curves.
Tight curves.
Ridiculous! I had enjoyed about enough for one day.
Thinking a bit more about this route and the size of my truck, I reversed direction at the first turn-around spot I could find.
A beautiful area, but calling for a smaller vehicle, and 4WD wouldn’t be a bad idea, either.
But if you ever get the chance, be sure to visit this truly awesome National Park.





No comments:
Post a Comment