I returned to Colorado Springs in mid-June for my annual roundup of doctor appointments, but was delayed by my (eventual) decision to have a cataract operation, which meant a delay of about 3 weeks for the operation, itself, then an additional month for recovery, then another week before I received my glasses with my new prescription. But, I can now see like a hawk! (It's all relative...)
The Colorado Springs Waldo Canyon forest fire started the day I arrived in town, and when it "blew up" and intensified, I was just a few miles from its worst, parked at the Elks Lodge, but in no danger save from the intense smoke.
While waiting for my recovery, I was able to get up to Leadville for 10 days or so, where I visited friends Darryl and Judy, Jerry and Nancy and Drake and Helen - all from the Boondockers group whom I first met in the desert SouthWest ( California and Arizona). I had a great time up there, and it was refreshingly cool and clear after too many days of 100+ degrees in Colorado Springs.
After I received my new glasses, my medical doctor decided it was time for me to undergo a stress test, so yet another delay.
But finally, I was once again able to abandon Colorado Springs, this time for Grand Teton National Park, where I camped a couple miles outside Moran Junction at a free spot, just missing friends Drake and Helen by a few days. Below area two perspectives of the campsite, which I found very pleasant and relaxing. It sits 100 feet above the Buffalo Fork River valley.
I got out that first day to take some pictures of houses and barns on the historic "Mormon Row" outside Jackson, but already the smoke was a problem.
I got up at 5AM the next morning to be at Moulton's Barn at sunrise. I just barely made it in time.
Grand Teton mountain, as seen from Moose Junction.
On another day, traveling north from Moran Junction to the John D. Rockefeller, Jr Memorial Parkway, views were even more restricted by the smoke, but I was able nevertheless to get some nice reflections at one spot.
On my last day there, I stopped to view Cunningham's Cabin, built by John Pierce Cunningham, who arrived Jackson Hole in 1885, at an age of 20 years. This is one of the few buildings remaining from the homesteader era. He trapped for 3 years, then built this cabin and ranched on 100 acres, later expanding to 560 acres where he raised cattle, horses and sheep, plus growing enough hay to feed them over the 6 months of winter! That meant as much as 200 TONS of hay per year for his 100 cattle - enough to make a fellah tired! And the growing season is less than 60 days!!!
Still, it's in a very pleasant setting.
Now (21 Sep), only a couple more appointments to go, and then I'll be free to flee south and west - most likely first to Moab, then south to Tucson, then on to Borrego Springs State Park, CA to start the winter's boondocking.





Nice photos! We are currently in Tucson. We will be wandering around Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and southern California for the next few months --- not sure where we will be specifically. Hope all your medical concerns are taken care of and you are feeling well. You are certainly SEEING well!
ReplyDeleteAre you going to the NHOG rally next April/May in Kerrville?