At the end of September, I relocated to the Colorado National Monument, outside Grand Junction and Fruita, Colorado. I had long wanted to visit this Monument, but had been put off by the fact that I'd need to traverse two relatively short tunnels. They're 16 feet high at the very middle, but are quite arched, and only 10 feet high at the edges. So I went in early, having stayed the night before at the Montrose, CO Elks Lodge, about 2 hours east of Fruita. And I straddled the center yellow line as going through both tunnels - with no damage. Entrance with the Golden Age Card was free, and camping in the Saddlehorn Campground was half-price, only $10 per night, allbeit with no hookups.
The campground lies about 1000 feet above Fruita and the Colorado River valley, and was wonderfully peaceful and quiet, never filling completely during the week I was there.
I hurried out the next morning before sunrise to get some early morning shots, below.
That's Fruita and the Colorado River far, far below.
The Road Coming Up - all 1000 feet up!
Left the Colorado National Monument Sunday, October 7th, for Moab, Utah.









No comments:
Post a Comment