Thursday, October 25, 2012

Natural Bridges National Monument and Goosenecks State Park, UT


    Natural Bridges National Monument is some 30 miles west of Blanding, Utah, off state highway 95, a scenic and steeping rolling drive.  It sits high up on Cedar Mesa, at an altitude of 6,500 feet, and is the site of three large natural bridges, including the second largest one in the world.
     Now what, you might ask, is the difference between a natural bridge and an arch?  Natural bridges are carved out by the erosive force of moving water, whereas arches are formed by other forces, including the forces of seeping moisture and the freezing of that moisture.
     The only campground in the monument is for very small RVs only, so I boondocked for four nights without utilities about 4 or 5 miles outside the monument.  It was very peaceful and quiet out there, situated in a hilly area amidst a pinion pine and juniper forest.  Another advantage was that the pinion nut crop was ripe and hugely abundant.  Most trees appeared untouched by squirrels or jays, so I felt at liberty to partake freely - yum!
    Of the three bridges, the first is named Sipapu (all three are Hopi names) meaning “the place of emergence,” an entryway through which the Hopi believe their ancestors came to this world.  Sipapu is second largest in the entire world, second only to Rainbow Bridge in Glen Canyon.  The trail to the bottom, 500 feet down, includes one metal staircase and three wooden ladders constructed from local tree limbs to resemble what the ancients might have used. 
     And a beautiful sight it is! 
Looking Through



 Looking Back

    The trip down was enjoyable, but the climb back up was enough to wear me out, so I went back to my RV and the pinion nuts.
   The next day, I was back to work my way down to Kachina natural bridge.  This bridge is named for the rock art symbols on the bridge that resemble symbols commonly used on kachina dolls (which symbols I completely forgot to look for).  It is also considered to be the youngest of the three bridges, based upon its massive size and the thickness of the bridge.  This trail descends only 400 feet, but the route is longer, but it’s certainly worth it.

 Coming Into View

 Looking Back

    The last of the bridges, Owachomo, is the oldest and slimmest of the three, and is named for a mound of rocks found at one end of the east abutment.


  Continuing on the 9 mile long one-way drive that takes us by the bridges, I also encountered a pull-off with informational signage about some buttes, named Bears Ears, that lay off in the distance.

 Bears Ears

   The next day, I drove south on State Highway 261 to an area called “Muley Point”.  It lies on the very edge of the drop-off into the Valley of the Gods, and has impressive views.


   Later, I relocated to Goosenecks State Park outside Mexican Hat, Utah.  This is just south of the above Muley Point, and adjacent to the Valley of the Gods.


   I never knew the San Juan was such an angry and hungry river! 


  One evening I took a drive through the afore-mentioned Valley of the Gods at sunset.  Dynamite!

  Pyramid

   Varying Shapes, Shades and Colors





 Ball Gown

Setting Hen Bluff

   Later, over near Mexican Hat, UT I observed another striking example of the result of natural erosion.

And of course, there’s the Mexican Hat of Mexican Hat, Utah! 

   An example of ancient rock art - notice the two sheep “walking the line.”

   Departing early the next morning, the Valley of the Gods, viewed from Highway 163, was glowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment