Friday, June 6, 2014

June 2014 - Root River Bicycle Trail

     I arrived Lanesboro, MN on Wednesday, June 4.  Lanesboro is a fairly small village, and its only claim to fame, in my opinion, is the great bicycle trail that passes through it, the Root River Bicycle Trail, running from Houston, MN - some 31 miles to the east, to Fountain, MN - 12.2 miles to the west, or to Harmony, MN - which one gains by riding about 5 miles west, then about 18 miles to the south.  
   Or for more information on the area, see   http://www.rootrivertrail.org/site/index.php
   My first morning here, I hit the trail about 7:30, heading westward toward Fountain as a gentle re-introduction to the trail.  For much of the trip, the route runs through forest, and is over-arched by adjacent trees.  I saw several deer along the way, including one that was taking its leisure in a meadow, lying down and casually reaching out here to nibble a bit, then just over there to gain a tasty morsel.



   At one point, I heard the honking of geese, and just a few moments later, an entire flock flew directly over me, just above the treetops.  
   All in all, it was an easy and very enjoyable ride out to Fountain and back for a total of 23 miles.
   My second morning, I hit the trail at 7 o'clock, aiming to ride out to Preston, about 10 miles to the west and south, on the route to Harmony.  Beyond Preston, I'd simply continue biking until I felt I'd gone far enough, given that I'd still have to make the return trip to Lanesboro.
   Preston is a nice, somewhat larger village or town than Lanesboro, and just outside town I spied some turkey vultures catching some early morning rays.


   Along the trail, one occasionally will encounter a trailside shelter, nice in the event of rain, but I presume they're more as rest stops for winter X-C skiers.  Which reminds me, this trail is for walking, biking, skating and X-C skiing, only, and conspicuously signed as such at every road crossing.



  Harmony is approximately 485 feet higher in elevation than Preston, and there are occasional steep pitches, both up and down, once past Preston.  The route goes for the most part through attractive woodlands, through some agricultural landscapes, and past several sinkholes.  Trailside signs have been posted providing considerable information about the landscape, including that there are some 10,000 sinkholes throughout this general area and how they affect the underground water flow and how they can affect water purity.
   See  http://bringmethenews.com/2014/04/14/minnesota-town-home-to-sinkhole-capital-of-the-u-s/ 
   I wasn't having any trouble with the trail or the ride, so just kept on keepin' on and before long, arrived at Harmony.  But since the skies were darkening, I turned around and headed home rather than exploring the town.
   Now I had it "easy", heading back down those 485 feet of elevation, and the miles just flowed away, but I had to stop in Preston when I encountered a one-family Farmer's Market manned by an Amish man and a young lady whom I assumed was his daughter.  I had a nice conversation with them, and the man was somewhat surprised that I had started at Lanesboro, gone all the way to Harmony, and was now on my way back - at 9AM or so.  I bought some of their carrot cake squares and some (too much!) cashew brittle - all were very good!
   Then I resumed the trip back home, and arrived 4 1/2 hours after I started out, for a total of 46 very enjoyable miles. 
   I went inside my trailer, had a cuppa tea, sat in my recliner, pulled a sweater over me, put a pillow behind my head and passed out for an hour.  
   What a great start to the day!

   Hope you're all having a great day, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment