Monday, June 9, 2014

June 9th, 2014: They're Ba-a-a-ck! Orange-eyed Devil Bugs

   I'm staying overnight at the Criss Cove Campground in Marion County, Iowa - a nice rural campground with trees and views of meadows and a 9 acre lake.  Very pleasant and relaxing spot to stop.
   Workmen were mowing grass when I arrived, but after I got the trailer parked and hooked up, I wandered about a big, and encountered big orange-eyed bugs - cicadas!  I loved seeing and hearing these each summer, usually August, when I was growing up in Indiana.  These, however, are smaller, about half the size of what I remember, and have bright orange eyes. - evidently a different variety but still cicadas, and perfectly harmless to people.
   I read recently that the American Indians would greet their annual emergence with joy, gathering them up in the hundreds, roasting and eating them.  High protein and high fat.  What's not to relish?





   Some of the trees were covered with hundreds of them, searching a higher perch.


   While many were still down at ground level, just recently having molted.


   Moving up in the world.

   After walking about admiring them, I returned to my trailer.  A few moments after walking in and closing the door, I heard the faint buzz of a cicada, and it wasn't from outside.   I checked all over my clothing but found nothing.  Then "buzz-z-z-z" again.  Look again.  Finally found it, inside my pocket!
   I released it outside, then sat down to relax, then felt another one, climbing up inside my pants leg! They sure are friendly fellers!  I finally got rid of all that had come inside with me, and can now just relax and listen to their gentle buzzing outside.  Not at all like the shrill screaming the August cicadas would make back in Indiana.


No comments:

Post a Comment