I wanted to try climbing the slope you see below, curving up the hillside above the trees in the foreground, curving from center of the picture toward the upper right corner - with no idea of how far that was.
It seems that the first picture posted can never be blown up, so I've repeated it below. Click on it, and you'll be able to view it enlarged.
Just Starting Out
En route, I came across another attractive Indian Paintbrush.
After climbing a few hundred feet, I came across a rock formation like none I'd ever seen before - a collection of broken and/or shattered rocks and boulders mixed with mud or sand and sort of "concreted" together. I figure it must be the remains of an ancient landslide that became "concreted" together, and then slowly weathered away. You'll notice that the vertical rises tend to be topped by single large rocks, precariously positioned and ready to fall, and that all the rocks show signs of violence to them. Very interesting!

When I finally got almost to the top, I could look over to the other side, above the valley and the steep bluffs, to see an almost plateau-like landscape. This is part of the Powderhorn Primitive Area, almost 7000 acres in size, and bordering the Powderhorn Wilderness Area, another 62,000 acres in size.
The following 4 photos are of the Cebolla Creek valley, sweeping from left to right, with the Primitive Area above, and my trailer way, way, way down in the valley, fully 800 feet below us. It's sitting in a large grey rectangular patch of gravel in the first two of the pictures, below.










No comments:
Post a Comment