While on a walk through the park, I found some red elderberries.
That afternoon, I drove a couple miles south to Trout Lake, which is ringed by dramatic mountains.
Also, I found out that the Galloping Goose Hiking/Biking/4WDrive Trail runs right behind the campground, so I had to try it the next morning once the temperature had warmed up. I got on the trail, and had to shift into my lowest gear, and the pedaled, pedaled, pedaled up to and around Trout Lake, and then even more steeply uphill for another two or three miles until I finally reached LizardHead Pass, elevation 10,222'. The views were dynamite, and there are several good and widely spaced boondocking sites on the south side of Highway 145.
While there, I met a very nice couple who started full-time RVing just this past spring, and I filled them in on the Escapees RV Club and the Boondockers group. I didn't get their last names, but Doug and Loretta may be able to join us at Borrego Springs come November - they wrote down the MP 27 and Highway S-22 information. I sure hope they can make it!
Starting the 5 mile route back to my campground, I found the trail to be steeper than I had realized, and I had to pedal only about 1/2 mile on the entire route back! All the rest of the time, I was braking! But, I had beautiful views all the way home.
I may just have to return there for the color change...
Hoping all are well,
- Bill -






No comments:
Post a Comment